Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Automatic import of spreadsheet (+ aTbRef typo) (Read 678 times)
B.Moreira

Automatic import of spreadsheet (+ aTbRef typo)
Nov 02nd, 2016, 3:25pm

Hi !
I was experimenting with the spreadsheet import feature. I think it's great to be able to work on a good old effective spreadsheet and then just drag it and import it to TBX with attributes.

But I would like to automate things. For example, would it be possible for us to select the container note and have it's children automatically updated from the CSV file through a script?

Thanks!

PS: on aTbRef (http://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref6/index/Import/SpreadsheetTab-Delimited.html), where we find "From v6.6.0, if there is a 'Prototypes' column and appropriately (...)" we should find "From v6.6.0, if there is a 'Prototype' column and appropriately (...)". Prototype, singular, otherwise the auto-assignment of prototypes will not work.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Automatic import of spreadsheet (+ aTbRef typo)
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2016, 5:25pm

Embarrassed Sorry, Fixed! Of course, the default container in a TBX for prototypes is 'Prototypes' but here we are trying to match $Prototype. Good spot. Do please report any such typos/errors so i can fix them.

As the the main question, I don't thing this is possible via Tinderbox itself. You could use a runCommand to call a shell script (or Automator/AppleScript) task to drop the data file on to TB but I'm not sure you'd then control where in the TBX the import would happen.

More problematic, even if the target exists is the merge problem. If a data row of source already has a note of that name is it replaced. If not what is merged/replaced. I'd love to be able to use a merge to import additional fields/attributes to existing notes but I expect its complex and an engineering cost for a neat feature only a few of us would use.

At this point someone whose good at inter-app scripting will probably step forward and point out I've missed a simple and obvious solution!

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
B.Moreira

Re: Automatic import of spreadsheet (+ aTbRef typo)
Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2016, 5:54am

Thanks for the clarification Mark.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print