Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Jumping between two separate container notes. (Read 4518 times)
Ellen Madono

Jumping between two separate container notes.
Nov 19th, 2016, 5:54am

I am looking for a way to quickly jump between two notes that are in different containers.

In more detail, this is what I am doing.
reference/source note 1:
I want to be able to quickly look at a growing list of notes.  These notes are grouped and they keep changing.  

Destination container note 2:
I am organizing other notes and classifying some of them in a container that is separate from the above container of note 1.  As I work on the notes in container note 2, note 1 will keep changing, but I want my work in Note 2 to reflect the changes in Note 1.  

So, I need to jump between the two notes without many procedures.

What aspect of tbx will help me to make this possible?  I want to quickly go between Container/Note 1 and Container/Note 2.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Jumping between two separate container notes.
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2016, 9:26am

Two tabs?

A link between the notes?

WWW   IP Logged
Ellen Madono

Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2016, 10:21pm

Thank-you.  So, simple.   Smiley

IP Logged
Ellen Madono

Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2016, 10:35pm

I wouldn't use the link between notes, but I have not been able to figure out how to jump between the destination and origin of the links.  

I can make links between two notes in one note and can copy it to another container, but each link needs to be made separately.  So, the tab is easier.

IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2016, 8:56am

Say you have two notes, Note A and Note B, and you link them.

Then if you're in Note A, Note > Navigate (cmd-enter) will take you to Note B.

Note > Back (cmd-') will take you back to Note A.

Does that help a little?

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2016, 8:57am by David Bertenshaw »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2016, 10:29am

If you click on a link the the text of a note, Tinderbox loads the target note in the text pane.  whether or not the view pane shows the note depends on whether the target note is in scope of the current view when you follow the link. So if you're using a map view and the target is not on the same map the view still shows the existing map but with nothing selected.

Next, remember all notes in Tinderbox are uni-directional. So a link from note A to note B goes from A to B. However if you want to navigate between notes - even using basic-type (note-level) links. Roadmap is your friend. If A links to B but B doesn't link to A it's no problem as the Roadmap list both inbound and outbound links. Double-clicking any link set text pane focus to that link. So even though B may have no explicit link to A, in B's Roadmap double-clicking A in the inbound links will navigate back to A.  If that's confusing, make a small text TBX and try it. If you want to use Roadmap as a navigation tool, open it for any note and drag the pop-over so it tears off as a stand alone window and now you're ready to navigate.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Ellen Madono

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2016, 2:20am

Hi,

I tried making a note just to make the jump to the note that is outside that container.  Clearly, I have made the link since I see an additional arrow below the link widget.   I can also bring up the roadmap pop up.  

What I am missing in my understanding is how to quickly go to the desires destination.  

I put the name of the note in the button above the text window.  Nothing happens there either.  

Obviously because I am in a different container, I am having trouble.  David Bertenshaws suggestion of the ⌘ enter and ⌘' work only within the same container.  Toggling.  Here I am going to different containers.

Thanks for all your help.

Best,
Ellen Madono

IP Logged
Ellen Madono

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2016, 2:25am

It seems simpler to give the folder an odd but memorable name and use the ⌘f function.  I named the folder sx1  and it is the only folder with that name, so I can go directly to it. Smiley

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2016, 8:45am

The Cmd+Return shortcut David Bertenshaw cited works on Basic (note-to-note) links but not, it seems, on text (text-to-note) links; why the difference I'm not sure. If there is more than one basic link, Cmd+Return follows the first basic link (as per the list seen in the note's Browse links).

Once a link has been followed the Cmd+' shortcut will return to the previous note - i.e. slightly different link type matching than the above shortcut.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2016, 11:03am

Ellen,

Navigating between linked Notes 1 and 2 using the shortcuts definitely works even if they are in different containers -- which is what I thought you asked for.

TBH, I don't really understand precisely what you're trying to do, sorry. Perhaps a screenshot would help?

(BTW Mark's point about the text link to note not accepting cmd-return is right of course, but in that case you can still click on the link to follow it and cmd-' to get back. Or am I missing something?)

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2016, 12:32pm

@David, no you're right, for a text link you can just click it.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Ellen Madono

Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2016, 2:09am

I took a photo of the set up where the links are in the same container as I think of it. †Under the note called sx1 link, there is another note called Mang. †I actually want sx1 link to be in the note Mang where I do most of my work. †I don't want it in itís current location on the photo.

The question is, how do I get a link from a note in Mang to bring me to the folder called sx1?

Hope my image file shows up. Smiley

Edited:
Edit to BBCode mark-up to try and fix the image link
Later: no that just made the whole thing disappear - I'm guessing because there was only a filename and no URL

« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2016, 7:48am by Mark Anderson »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2016, 8:49am

Unfortunately your image doesn't show, for 2 reasons.  Firstly, the closing ']' on the closing 'img' forum mark-up tag is missing. But, more importantly you've not given a web url for access to the image.  If you don't have web space on which you can place the image and you have Dropbox put it in one of your Dropbox folders, right-click and you can get a url that would work in this scenario.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Ellen Madono

Reply #13 - Nov 27th, 2016, 9:43pm

Above is the image that I copied from my dropbox site.  Hope you can see it.

You can see that I can make a link.  The problem is, I want to put the note "sx1 link into the folder named "mang" right below it.  I want to make a link with the folder named sx1.  

Is that possible?  Mechanically what do I do to go to sx1 from Mang?

IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #14 - Nov 28th, 2016, 2:17am

The link to your Dropbox site seems to be broken, Ellen, as no picture is showing (just the 'no picture' icon).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10002711/Screenshot%202016-11-28%2007.15.20....

This is what I did to post the above screenshot.

Save the screenshot to my Dropbox/Pubic file then right-click on it and choose Copy Public Link.

Then copy the link into this forum, highlight it and make it into a link (NB, not an image). i.e. use

Code:
[url]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10002711/Screenshot%202016-11-28%2007.15.20.png[/url] 

It seems to need URL tags not IMG to work.

« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2016, 2:27am by David Bertenshaw »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print