Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tinderbox and / or Storyspace? (Read 1630 times)
Erwin

Antwerp, Belgium
Tinderbox and / or Storyspace?
Nov 23rd, 2016, 5:29pm

Learning curve and too little time to spend on learning lead me to this question:
- I have Tinderbox for a little year now, but do realise I still need to learn nearly everything!
- Combine this with also learning / experiencing Devonthink, Scrivener, Curio, Mindmeister and I'm surely missing some, this is no trivial task.

Now one of the main things I'd like to achieve is to be able to link to documents of various kind, pdf, docx, txt, but also media files etc.
As stated in another post I 'mainly' intended to use Tinderbox for mind mapping with the idea I would gradually learn from the ground up.

Today, I find myself missing the capability to 'easily' link to e.g. a pdf document. In many other programs this can be achieved by simply drag'n dropping a file on top of a node or such.
Can this be done in Tinderbox?
- Am I missing something?
- Is this maybe better possible in Storyspace?

Lately I am more and more focusing on interlinking capabilities, linckback  and such. Finding and linking is my first goal. Next is the question how to make this accessible, thinking of exporting to wikipedia like solutions?

I admit that I did not take the time to compare Tinderbox and Storyspace, rather assumed Tinderbox was the 'big' brother of Storyspace.

Thank you for helping out!

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Tinderbox and / or Storyspace?
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2016, 7:25pm

Tinderbox is not primarily intended as a repository; use DEVONthink Pro or Yojimbo for that.  You can drag items from DEVONthink right into Tinderbox to link to them.

Or, use the $File attribute to link a Tinderbox note to any file.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2016, 6:06am

A few reference links to aTbRef article that may help in following up MB's suggestions above:

File Data-type. How File type attributes look as Key Attributes in a text pane. Using DEVONThink and Tinderbox together.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Erwin

Antwerp, Belgium
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2016, 4:14pm

Thank you for replying and helping out!

Any chance on a couple of words marking the 'differences' - 'similarities' of TB and Storyspace? Or maybe a pointer to an enlightening article or thread?

As for the $File: how / where do I add or edit this?
I've tried creating a note in map view, then drag'n drop a Devonthink item on top of it, but nothing seems to happen..
Right click on the note > get info shows me a list but I couldn't find $File amongst them.
Searching through the inspector did not reveal $File either.

Any chance on some example or tutorial?
Thank you!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2016, 4:51pm

I think you'll find $File is there:
  • In Get Info, select 'attributes' in the left column.  In the next column, in the Search box at the top, type 'File' and click the match in the list that pops up. $File is auto selected.
  • In Properties Inspector, select the Quickstamp tab. Type 'file' into the search box, hit Return and the dialog will auto select the $File attribute ready for you to edit it.
  • In a not text pane, click the '+' button top right. In the top box of the pop-up type 'File' and hit Return. $File is added as a key attribute. In this case, if you drag/drop a file or folder from Finder onto the little folder widget shown next to the value box for $File you can set a path.
The drag drop from DEVONThink is not meant for setting $File:

Quote:
From v6.3.1, dragging a DEVONThink item into Tinderbox will set the newly-created note's $URL to a URL pointing to the source DEVONThink database item.

If you drag-drop a DEVONThink item onto a note in Tinderbox then use the third method above but type 'URL' instead of 'File' to make $URL a key attribute. If $URL is populated with a DEVONThink URL, clicking the globe icon should open that item in DEVONThink.

~~~~~~
Tinderbox & Storyspace. Both apps share the same file and can often use some features that can only be created [sic] in the other app. Tinderbox has a powerful export system, can make agents (Storyspace can use but not edit them), has more view types...and more. Storyspace is primarily intended for writing Hypertexts to be read in Storyspace or the (free) Storyspace Reader. Only Storyspace has guard links and the sculptural hypertext. Unless you're wanting to write a hypertext story (or non-fiction hypertext) you likely want Tinderbox if only going for one app or the other. Both apps (certainly) Tinderbox have a degree of round-tip ability with Scrivener.

« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2016, 5:07am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Erwin

Antwerp, Belgium
Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2016, 5:38pm

Thanks for your prompt reply!
Is it possible you copied the same url for Properties Inspector?
(Maybe for other readers - I did find it on TbRef)

I was partly able to get solution #3 going, created the $URL attribute, which became visible in the note text pane. I pasted a DT item link in but it did not work.

I'll need some more experimenting time after which I'll post back in the next couple of days.
Thanks again!

PS Sorry, it seems I can not post links yet..  Embarrassed

« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2016, 5:40pm by Erwin »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2016, 6:57am

Gah - a mistake in my BBCode marking up the URLS - they should work correctly now.  Smiley

If I drag a DT item into the view (left) pane of a TB windows, I get a new note wh's title ($Name) is the title of the source DT note. The new TB does get its $URL** set but to see/use it you'll need to expose the $URL attribute - use the last method listed in my post above. In $URL you should see a value with a style akin to 'x-devonthink-item://7299CF94-8CB1-4C67-8D72-20BC1B6A4B5Fl'. If you click the globe symbol to the left of that value, Tinderbox passes the URL to Finder which figures out you need to open DT rather than your web browser and DT shows its item with that ID. I'm not sure if the target DT database needs to be open in DT, in order for DT to know which item to open.

If you find you're doing this 'reveal $URL' task a lot consider making a stamp with this code:

$KeyAttributes = $KeyAttributes + "URL";

The $KeyAttributes attribute is how a note stores which attributes it displays as the key attributes table in its text pane.

N.B. you don't drag a DT item onto a note, but onto the view pane (the left side of a document window).

** You don't need to 'make' this attribute as it is one of the many built-in attributes in Tinderbox. In fact they are pre-defined as, to avoid file bloat, TBX only stores per-note those attributes that it actually uses and which have a non-default value. Thus, if you read the saved value of a note (you can - it's just XML!) you won't see a URL value until you set $URL.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2016, 7:11am

Anyone can add links to their forum posts (to webpages, images, files, etc. as long as at a valid web URL).

Any full URL (with http etc.) is automatically make a link when posting. To make a link from a valid full URL, select it and then select the text then click the globe icon (top left above the post editing window) which will enclose the selection with a 'url' tag in square brackets. Job done. But, if you want to use some text in your post as the anchor text there's an extra step. First, select the text then click the globe icon (top left above the post editing window) which will enclose the selection with a 'url' tag in square brackets - I can't show that here as the tags will work as actual tags. In the example below I'll use {} for []. We select 'some text'. After clicking the globe you get:

{url}some text{/url}

To add the target URL for the link, edit the opeing {url} tag adding a '=' and the URL to the opening tag:

{url=http://www.eastgate.com}some text{/url}

Done. Insert an image in you post, it must be online. Copy the URL of the image and past onto a blank line in your post.  select the whole URL and click the picture icon (third from left above the edit box) and a pair of 'img' tags are added around the image URL. No further editing is needed. Tip: I find that to ensure some space above/below the image in the rendered post it is helpful to leave a blank line both above and below the image URL in the the source of your post.

Note this forum configuration does not allow the direct upload to files, images to be stored on the forum. If you don't have web space of your own, Dropbox allows you to give public read-only URLs to items in your Dropbox. I suspect the Apple iCloud allows the same (Not sure!).

I hope that helps.  Smiley

Edited:
Corrections!

« Last Edit: Nov 25th, 2016, 1:38pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Erwin

Antwerp, Belgium
Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2016, 10:36am

Hi Marc, thanks for your never ending help!
I think it is a limitation due to forum settings: it says I need to make at least 5 posts before being allowed to post links. Wording may differ as this is from memory.

Thanks again!
Will do testing with the Attributes and report back!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2016, 11:12am

Ah, sorry. That's likely an anti-spammer setting (I know we're under a constant barrage of spam users, for some reason).

However, you can always put full working URLs into your posts even if readers have to copy/paste to a browser.  Smiley

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Erwin

Antwerp, Belgium
Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2016, 11:29am

Well, not too sure about that: I tried to 'disguise' the url but was not able to fool the YaBB forum AI within 5 minutes and decided to remove my link.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #11 - Nov 25th, 2016, 1:34pm

I've edited my post above as clearly I've 'mis-remembered'. This is the URL of the forum in text and with no mark-up applied: http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/forum//YaBB.cgi

It's not turned into a link but anyone should be able to copy it and use it in a browser.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
David Bertenshaw

Reply #12 - Nov 25th, 2016, 1:37pm

Mark,

Your 'bald' text link was fully clickable at this end....

IP Logged
Erwin

Antwerp, Belgium
Reply #13 - Nov 25th, 2016, 2:20pm

Fully clickable indeed!
Let me try to copy and paste:
no mark-up applied: http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/forum//YaBB.cgi

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!