Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Experiencing some graphical glitches on TBX (Read 1586 times)
B.Moreira

Experiencing some graphical glitches on TBX
Nov 25th, 2016, 2:05pm

Hello,
recently I've been experiencing sobre graphical glitches in TBX, for example:
- when clicking tabs, they get misplaced (like leaving space behind tabs, seems they don't stack horizontally correctly);
- when clicking on an empty space on the map view, the viewport gets dragged to other place;
- when double-clicking a note in outline, it gets oddly indented.

I'm using latest TBX and macOS Sierra.

Is this a known bugged behavior? I think it was not there in the previous TBX version. Thanks.

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Experiencing some graphical glitches on TBX
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2016, 3:41pm

No, its's not known.  It's never been reported, and it can't be reproduced from your description. And something like this would be unmissable.  

I spent most of the day building new Tinderbox projects for a new edition of The Tinderbox Way, for example, and saw nothing like this.  I just finished a 95,000-word hypertext novel that was composed in Tinderbox and then in Storyspace, and never saw anything like what you describe.

My guess is that there's something wrong with your computer, mouse, or trackpad.  

If problems persist -- send sample files and detail

WWW   IP Logged
B.Moreira

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2016, 3:56pm

Thanks for quick reply. I will investigate ... and meanwhile will try to post a video just to show what this is about. Hope to find what's wrong ...

IP Logged
B.Moreira

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2016, 5:26pm

Here is the link to the video, where I show:

1) clicking rapidly on the tabs will get them overlapped;
2) then I'll drag a tab to the right just by clicking on it several times;
3) then in Map view the viewport position will change sometimes just by clicking on an empty space on the map;
4) then in Outline you will see complete madness!

(mouse clicks highlighted with a black circle)

God my mac is from 2015 ... what's wrong with it ... maybe I'll need a full format...  Shocked

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2frwtsf9s5ygg3u/tbx_viewport_problems.mp4?dl=0

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2016, 6:58pm

We can't reproduce any of this.

WWW   IP Logged
B.Moreira

Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2016, 4:32pm

It was really my Mac. Tried everything, but in the end only a clean install of macOS / re-partion of the SDD was able to solve the problem. And with a clean Sierra I also noticed that the mission control animations became more fluid. So something when I updated to Sierra must have bugged the graphics.

Sorry for the false alarm!

IP Logged
B.Moreira

Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2016, 5:47am

I'm having the same problem again. I'm not sure, but I think it is related with the activation of Filevault in OSX, since I have a lot of problems by doing that (see my question at http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/261369/macos-sierra-boot-problem-relate...).
I disabled Filevault, and the problems reported in the previous link disappeared; but still, Tinderbox is having all these glitches once again...

I'm not sure, but I am very suspicious of Filevault for causing this...
Is anyone else using Tinderbox and Filevault on a MacBook Pro early-2015?

EDIT: I tested TBX6 with another user account newly created, and it works fine. So, maybe something messed up my user preferences somewhere, but I can't find out where...

« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2016, 10:08am by B.Moreira »  
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #7 - Dec 28th, 2016, 11:47am

Itís unlikely that Tinderbox is actually anything but a bystander in these travails. Sorry!

WWW   IP Logged
B.Moreira

Reply #8 - Dec 28th, 2016, 2:02pm

Yes... I now see it messes a lot of things. Affinity Photo randomly scrolls. Money Wiz windows move away when I click them (similar to what happens to Tinderbox's tabs, as in the video...). For me, Filevault 2, never again. Seems I need to format again my Mac ...

IP Logged
B.Moreira

Reply #9 - Dec 30th, 2016, 6:19am

Found a way to solve these glitches (not only in TBX but also in other apps) so I'm sharing this. Apparently, it had to do with incorrect permissions in kernel extensions (applied when enabling Filevault?).

I found this post at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/432-insanelyrepairpermission/

"InsanelyRepairPermission is a command line that is able to repair kexts permissions in the current Volume or other Volumes as you wish."

Please be careful as it involves disabling temporarily SIP. I executed the command with -rt flags.

Proceed at your own risk!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I'll live with the SD Card problem until a fix appear (Apple, shame on you). But the simple fact that windows were running away from me was, well, driving me a little bit crazy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print