Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quick "exploding notes" behaviour question (Read 1102 times)
Rob Forsyth

Quick "exploding notes" behaviour question
Nov 29th, 2016, 4:57am

I have recently brushed off for re-use a TBX created with v5. I use it to parse structured plain text files exported from a bibliography management application comprising the highlighted text and annotations I make when reading papers in that application. In starting to use it again I've noticed what seems to be a change in default behaviour in TBX 6 and I'm wondering whether/how I can change this? My agents rely on my checking the imported text file (as the contents of a single TBX note) is ready and then triggering "explode note" - my agents then parse the contents of the exploded notes container using various regex expressions.

In TBX 6, dragging in a plain text file with paragraphs seems to trigger an automatic "mini-explode" in that it's automatically restructured as separate notes by paragraph (not in an "exploded notes" container), which isn't quite what I want. Is there any way to turn this off? I can always paste the contents of the external file in, so it's not a deal breaker, but just wondered

Thanks again
Rob

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Quick "exploding notes" behaviour question
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2016, 5:43am

The drag-drop behaviour is a simple/simple best-guess parse the data. Testing with some plain text files sometimes i get a structure, sometimes not. Either way, the whole text is still in the drop-created note, so if the 'auto' explode from the drop is not to taste just delete those (sub-)notes and explode the root dropped note as per usual.

Explode has had some improvement since v5 so you might want to check the linked article.

if you use a custom delimiter... The dialog retains (per session) the last-used custom delimiter.  If this string contains line breaks ('\n') on re-use these get invisibly expanded causing you to re-type your delimiter - effectively doubling it. So if using escaped characters in a custom delimiter and getting odd results on second use, click on the delimiter box, then do Cmd+A before typing in your delimiter to ensure (only) the correct string is present. This issue is being fixed but I'm not sure if it's in the current client as at v6.6.5.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2016, 11:57am

When you drag a text file into the view pane, Tinderbox checks to see whether the text is a special format it can read.

• OPML outlines
  • vCard contact cards
  • iCal calendar events
  • tabbed outlines
  • comma-separated spreadsheet tables

Occasionally, Tinderbox might think you've got a tabbed outline or a spreadsheet table when you wanted to consider this as simple text that happens to have a lot of tabs.  

What to do?  Easy enough!  Just make a note and drag the file into the new note’s text pane!

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2016, 12:25pm

For tab-indented text outlines a drop auto-parses beautifully, as I discovered earlier today - the drop exploded out all the items including 3 levels of nest and all without needing Explode (which doesn't do the nesting!). Neat.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Rob Forsyth

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2016, 3:42pm

Yes thanks again Marks A & B. Once you're used to it the new behaviour is indeed very flexible

You never stop learning with TBX!

Rob

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print