Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Planning a book with Tinderbox - translate to TB 6 (Read 2805 times)
Erwin

Antwerp, Belgium
Planning a book with Tinderbox - translate to TB 6
Dec 31st, 2016, 6:17am

Hi,

The video 'Planning a book with Tinderbox' finally starts to make more sense  Wink
I'm trying to follow this example:
> menu > Note > create note
Pops up a dialog box;
where the 'Name' of Laura Washington is inserted.

It also shows (amongst others)
'Color'
'Can be a template'
'Can be a prototype'
'Key attributes: normal'
'OnAdd Action'
'Rule'
'Sort by'
'and by'

=> Where do I find these in the current version?
=> Is it still ok to use these older version video's as guidance?

Thanks for your tips!
And a happy new year!

Erwin

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Planning a book with Tinderbox - translate to TB 6
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2016, 7:10am

The note Name/Rename dialog is gone in v6. Note are now named directly in the UI (in the view pane) when you add them - in v5's terminology the note is in edit-in-place mode. To rename a note, select it and either click hold to edit the title in the view pane or simply edit the the title at the top of the text pane, either of which will set $Name to the new value.

The remainder of the things you cite are now accessible via the inspector:
  • 'Color' - see Appearance Inspector, Interior sub-tab.
  • 'Can be a template' - see Properties Inspector, Prototype sub-tab.
  • 'Can be a prototype' - see Properties Inspector, Prototype sub-tab.
  • 'Key attributes: normal' - see Properties Inspector, Quickstamp sub-tab, or use the Get Info pop-over's Attributes tab.
  • 'OnAdd Action' - see Action Inspector, Action sub-tab.
  • 'Rule' - see Action Inspector, Rule sub-tab.
  • 'Sort by' - see Action Inspector, Sort sub-tab.
  • 'and by' - see Action Inspector, Sort sub-tab.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Erwin

Antwerp, Belgium
Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2017, 4:57am

Mark,

Thanks a lot for your clarification! Much appreciated!
Another question popping up:
- In the Planning a Book video, there is a cluster of buttons, shortcuts below on the left hand side of the screen that looks like a sort of floating menu bar.

1. Was this part of 4.2.0 or can this still be created?
2. At a certain point (1:30) a word is selected in the text pane (Paris) and pressing a *-sign on the floating menu creates a new linked note with the selected word
>> How can this be done in 6.6.1?

« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2017, 5:39am by Erwin »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2017, 9:27am

Those tools all died with the old TB framework at v5. The new Apple -based frameworks off a lot of improvements but no longer allow drag and drop between windows. However, the new v6+ link parking mechanism is perfectly flexible - see more here.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Jan 1st, 2017, 11:43am

The "*" button was called the Footnote tool; it's now a submenu in the Note menu.

WWW   IP Logged
Erwin

Antwerp, Belgium
Reply #5 - Jan 1st, 2017, 11:51am

Thanks!
I've been able to replicate:
- Creating a prototype note & apply it to other notes
- OnAdd Action for adornment

So at least I understand what's happening and can start thinking about the inherent capabilities. Yay! (and I'm only at minute 7:40 of like 20'...)
Cheesy

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #6 - Jan 1st, 2017, 11:51am

A v5/v6 footnote behaviour change worth noting is that while sibling footnotes are created on the same outline level (useful in map view), in v6 all child footnotes are created in a new toor level container 'Notes'. Before v6 a child note was created as a child of the note for which a foot note was being created.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Erwin

Antwerp, Belgium
Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2017, 11:55am

But with all due respect, I think it would be fair to create an update video. It really is like searching a needle in a haystack to work this out.

And, at least for me, it is only because I 'saw' and grasped some meaning through watching the Planning a Movie video, that I choose to go to the bottom to find out how this would work in 6.6..

This shouldn't be so..
Just my 2 cents..

Many thanks though for helping me get there!

IP Logged
Erwin

Antwerp, Belgium
Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2017, 12:04pm

In the Planning a Movie video, if I understood correctly, a link to a note is made to a single word within a note.
- Is this correct?
- How do I do this?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2017, 12:52pm

@Erwin. I can't comment on making new movies as I didn't make the previous one. I'm just a volunteer moderator here.

Quote:
if I understood correctly, a link to a note is made to a single word within a note

I'm not sure I understand. In Tinderbox v6 you can have 2 sorts of links out from a note (that are still links starting/ending entirely within the current document):
  • Basic links. These link from note to note. They are always uni-directional.  aliases of a note share the original's basic links if they have no discrete basic links of their own, i.e. aliases can have their own basic links (this gets used a lot in exporting from Tinderbox).
  • Text links. These are links from a text anchor (a selection of one - or more - words in a note's $Text) to another note.
In very early versions of Tinderbox you could links from note text to a text anchor in another note but this has not been possible since the launch of v4.0.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Erwin

Antwerp, Belgium
Reply #10 - Jan 1st, 2017, 1:42pm

I think it must be text links then.
In the video, the word 'Paris' is selected, then the Footnote (I did not look into these yet, so can not judge yet) tool you described in post #4 was clicked and by doing this a new 'linked' note was created..

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #11 - Jan 1st, 2017, 2:26pm

Did you try making a note with some text, selecting a word and then making a footnote? Sometimes, it's a quicker route to understanding if you just try the technique. If it works, you now know how to do the task. If not, ask here. I've just checked the video you mentioned and you can see a tool-tip when the cursor is over the asterisk on the toolbar. At time 12:27 it clearly says in the tooltip 'Create a footnote'. So, you make a footnote. In the Tinderbox Help menu type 'footnote' and the appropriate menu is shown.

However, I have checked and can confirm the v6 Help document doesn't explain the footnote feature. That isn't ideal as the Note->Footnote menu items are greyed out unless there is a current text selection but there's nothing in the UI (or Help) to indicate that requirement to the user.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #12 - Jan 1st, 2017, 5:28pm

BTW, everyone knows about Getting Started with Tinderbox on the Help menu?  It covers many of the questions arising here....

WWW   IP Logged
Erwin

Antwerp, Belgium
Reply #13 - Jan 2nd, 2017, 3:41pm

Yes Mark B,

Thanks for hopping in;
I have Getting Started with TBX on my iPad, however, trying to 'catch' some ideas I was viewing your Planning a Movie video. There were quite some items that 'struck' me as useful and inspiring, hence I wanted to try to start out and 'master' these.

Clearly I now see more relevance in answers I already got here on the forum, but that did not quite 'catch'.
I do see that most of these are amongst 'the basics' of TBX, and it will take a lot of doing and working to master these..
Origin of confusion lies partly in the 'wealth' of information spread around and, I guess, mostly in this information not always being up-to-date with the current version.

I guess every one has to pave his own path..
Thanks for helping pave the way.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print