Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Auto-generate map based on note hyperlinks? (Read 522 times)
robertsck

Auto-generate map based on note hyperlinks?
Dec 31st, 2016, 8:37pm

I'm very new to TinderBox, so my apologies up front if this is a simple question. I've searched the web and forums and cannot find an answer. I'm trying to determine if I can do with TinderBox what I previously did with TiddlyWiki+TiddlyMap.

I have a series of notes in outline form, each with text links between the various notes.

Ideally, I would like to be able to auto-generate a map of the notes with the map showing the link relationships between the notes. It appears as though the links in map view are separate from the links in Outline view. This is most evident when I look at RoadMap. In Outline View I see Inbound/Outbound links. In Map view, roadmap does not show any links. Thus, the text links don't show up in map view.

There also doesn't appear to be a way to show the parent -> child relationship in Outline view as a link type in Map view - as opposed to using containers which visually breaks the link connection. I suppose I could work around this with an agent - and perhaps that is the intended approach?

I'd appreciate if anyone has insight on this issue. I'd be happy to provide more detail if necessary.

Thank you in advance for any insight you can offer!

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Auto-generate map based on note hyperlinks?
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2017, 9:12am

In short, I think this is not really possible. Although the maps of an agent with the query linkedFrom("X") will show an alias for any note to which X links, that map does not include X. Also, originals and aliases do not always share the same links. The latter is by design as it is necessary for many Tinderbox export techniques. Also, parent-child outline relationships have no explicit link - if you wanted to map that you'd need to make links.

A 'link-based map' view has been a feature suggestion in the past. Another suggestion is plotting a 'link tree' out from a selected note to N links distance.  Anyway, neither has come to pass and I suspect the latter is more complex to implement than the description suggests.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Re: Auto-generate map based on note hyperlinks?
Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2017, 11:41am

Automatic layout of hypertext maps is tricky.  For toy projects, it can make a great demo; for real work, it's often hard.

We've some irons in this fire, but I've been revisiting an argument that I made in The Tinderbox Way and find it good advice: the process of laying out your map view can be a valuable way to get your hands on your data.  If you've already got a lot of notes, haven't paid much attention to your map view, and now want to use map view, that probably means that your understanding of the project has changed.  Thatís an excellent time to get your hands on the data, even though it seems it would be nice to have Tinderbox do the work autonomously.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print