Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to TB - Couple Quick Questions (Read 750 times)
m. scott veach

New to TB - Couple Quick Questions
Jan 05th, 2017, 9:10pm

So, I'm a TV writer who has been kicking around using TB for development work for a while now. I'm giving it a shot but running into some of UI barriers. I did some searching but found it trickier than usual for TB.

I am hoping to get help with two questions:

There's a behavior that is happening to me over and over. I'm not sure if it's a feature or a bug but it tempts me toward frustration.

(1)
The behavior is this: There are six buttons on top (map,outlines,etc) that will change the view inside my current window. If I am on a map view and select any of those buttons then immediately return to map view, the software has resized and moved the view so that I am now looking at a completely different part of the map. Even worse, it almost always shows me an empty part of the map. I'm not making any changes. Jut clicking outline view and then clicking right back to map view.  It's hard for me to see how that would ever be a desirable behavior so I am guessing that I need to change a setting somewhere? Basically, I would like the map view to never automatically change. (Or alternatively, figure out how to adjust the autochanges to better match my desires.)

(2)
Is there a way for me to lock a particular map arrangemnt so that I can create alternate versions and switch between them? Whenever I create a second map view tab it just seems to be a mirrored view of the other map view. This seems to be true both on the lower-level view tab things and also on the higher-level full-on tabs level? What's the use-case for tabs if they're not sand-boxed from each other?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: New to TB - Couple Quick Questions
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2017, 4:07am

To take the last part of #2first, 'view' types are essentially a different visual rendering of the same data, with the exception of Attribute Viewer that is also the same data but presented as a listing. All other view types except Map show the entire document (by default) or may be set by the user to more specific and localised scope;Timeline has the added factor that data shown requires at date and can also limit the range of dates plotted. Map view is egregious in that it shows the contents of only one container (default is the root container) at a time. In all view types the text (right) pane may show data for a note outside the scope of the view (left) pane but normally the text pane shows the data for the currently selected note within the current view.

All this means that when you make a new tab, you essentially get a duplicate of the current tab: same view type, same selection, etc. Thus if you are in Outline and add a tab, the new tab is an Outline too. The expectation is that the user then alters the view type (via the toolbar or right-clicking the tab label), as well as altering the scope of the view, the selected item, etc. If you open a new window, the same premise applies: all current tabs/scopes are replicated, the user then alters the tabs as desired

It is undocumented, but my understanding (from use), is that the text selection of a view is held discretely if views have no overlap in scope, e.g. if you open separate map view tabs on root level containers A and B, you can switch between them whilst retaining each's text selection. But if you add a third tab with root scope, altering the text selection in the latter may change the text pane selection. My reading is that the design concept is you're generally wanting different views based on the same text selection. In turn this makes some other styles of work harder.

The toolbar button set simply set the view type of the current tab. As these tasks are easily done via the View menu or right-clicking the tabs' label I tend to turn the toolbar off to save screen space.

Going back to point #1, there have been ongoing improvements to map views storing their current view position. I understand what you describe but it's hard to triage at distance. I don't thing you're doing anything 'wrong' as such, but you might find it useful to discuss this aspect directly with support as it may require others to view your file(s). That reflects the fact that this is a user-to-user forum and thus not formal Tech Support (and your moderator here is an external volunteer) even though Eastgate may post here.

Taking all that together, I think your desire to have multiple map views showing different parts of the same (map) container and at different zoom levels, etc., it likely not possible at present. Discussion with support may help tease out what is/isn't possible in your scenario.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it does clarify what's known (or not!) about tab inter-relations.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
m. scott veach

Re: New to TB - Couple Quick Questions
Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2017, 6:08pm

Thanks for the reply! And that all makes sense.

I'll touch-base with support on this map view hopping thing as it's becoming a major barrier for me... I guess for most use cases the value of the map is in its finalized form but for me it's all about using the map dynamically to guide ongoing micro-decisions. And that makes weirdness around dynamic updating more than an annoyance for my use case.

Thanks again for the insight!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print