Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Attribute that triggers note title in map view (Read 930 times)
chatoyer

Attribute that triggers note title in map view
Jan 06th, 2017, 9:18am

Hi all,

New user.  Somehow, when playing around with various attributes in map view (by far my favourite view setting, BTW), I've managed to trigger a value in one of the attributes that effectively removes the title of the note in map view.  I can't figure out, however, which specific attribute triggered this.  

I would post a link to a screenshot, but the forum prohibit links until new users have made five posts.

Thanks in advance for any help!

- David

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Attribute that triggers note title in map view
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2017, 10:32am

First, try manually renaming the note by selecting the note and changing the title box at top of the selected note text pane. Now de-/re-select the note. Does the title reset to nothing? If it doss, then  you've an action running that keeps 'updating' the  note's title to "", i.e. no title. Things to check:
  • With the note selected:
    • The note's rule ($Rule). See here.
    • The note's edict ($Edict). See here.
    • The note's Display Expression ($DisplayExpression). See here and here.
  • In any agents:
    • The agents action ($AgentAction). See here.
When the note is selected, if the title box at the top of the text pane is blank but the selection in the view (left) pane has a title, the problem is the title ($Name) is blank but the display name ($DisplayName) which is the calculated output of the Display Expression is not blank.

Sorry for so many options to check, but all are possible roots to check. In each case, above if the code box (see linked articles) has any action code cut and paste that out into another doc to app and then re-test by setting a new title in the note's text pane. If no change, the code can be put back. One of the above ought to prove the culprit.

From memory, the most common cause of this type of issue is a a Display Expression - and an action that sets code in $DisplayExpression - that aims to replace the existing title with something like the percent progress on a task. The mistake occurs when the expression evaluates to no output and the code also replaces $Name.

Anyway, there are a few things to try.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
chatoyer

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2017, 10:39am

Mark - thanks very much.  It seems it was the $DisplayExpression.  Appreciate the thorough response!

- David

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2017, 10:54am

By the way, the new forum http://forum.eastgate.com/ is much nicer for posting screenshots and such.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2017, 11:43am

David - good! I'd thoroughly endorse the new forum (Mark's post above) and where you'll also find the same volunteer moderator.  Smiley

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
chatoyer

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2017, 12:56pm

Excellent, thanks to you both.  Will endeavour to utilise the new forum going forward.

Really enjoying exploring Tinderbox environment.  I am currently using it to plan out a senior-year undergraduate course in International Business.  Incredibly how we can link to specific pages in, for instance, DevonThink, and am enjoying the linking of notes.  I may have convinced a colleague to the take the plunge as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print