Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
shared use - what are the possibilities if any? (Read 754 times)
Erwin

Antwerp, Belgium
shared use - what are the possibilities if any?
Jan 07th, 2017, 7:20am

Hi,
Searching on share, sharing and collaborate didn't yield what I'm looking for.

One of the things I commonly do is jump around between computers and by extension tablets, phones.
This has lead to attentiveness for 'sharing' capability, even if only on file basis.

Departing from the fact that 'everything is a note' within TBX (correct me if this is very wrong?) and knowing that TBX has no shared file capability, would it be wrong to think about 'notes' as 'external' to TBX, and putting these in a 'shared' location?
Maybe this is what you're already doing with SimpleNote?

F.I. I've used SimpleNote in the past, but due to inconsistencies and problems at that time I in fact abandoned it.
I also read that SimpleNote sync did not work anymore at a certain point in TBX's timeline, reading even more this seems to be fixed again. Can someone confirm?

So to resume:
Would it be conceivable to have 'notes' live in SimpleNote or analogous? Then use these notes in TBX files. Store the TBX file in a shared location e.g. iCloud, Dropbox or Google Drive - taking well care not to have the TBX file open on 2 or more computers.
Does TBX support some file locking mechanism?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: shared use - what are the possibilities if any?
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2017, 9:54am

I work on 3 different Mac at 2 locations (one each end and a travelling MBAir). I now keep most TBXs docs in the cloud (via Dropbox). I have had to train myself to close TBX docs not in use so as to ensure no edit conflicts. It's workable.

I'm not so sure about Simplenote or tablets - my MBAir is my tablet! But there are forum users who who use Simplenote, Evernote and such so hopefully they may give input on that aspect.

Note: there is a new forum available at http://forum.eastgate.com. Content here isn't migrating, but users are.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print