Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Publishing Large Map on Web Page (Read 1062 times)
Henry Stein

Publishing Large Map on Web Page
Feb 17th, 2017, 7:11pm

I've created a large map pf notes grouped by topics, that requires much horizontal and vertical scrolling to view. Can I publish it as a web page that can also be scrolled in a browser? If so, how?

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Publishing Large Map on Web Page
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2017, 3:54am

If is currently not possible to export a map in HTML form. If you export the Map view as an image (Edit menu, 'Copy view as image') you get a vector graphic of the whole map (even if not currently visible. If you paste the data into a bitmap editor the data is rasterised, but if you go to preview and make a new image from the clipboard (or paste into Illustrator or such) you've a vector image.

It's not my exact area of expertise, but I'm guessing the vector data could be saved to SVG and thus embedded in a page.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
WAKAMATSU

Japan
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2017, 9:23am

Dear Stein,
I would like to offer a suggestion to visit
[Making and using a Tinderbox imagemap].

[http://mapself.com/index/Pages/BoxPressLearningCenter/BoxPressTutorial/AddingHTMLimagemaps/MakingandusingaTinderbox.html]

Good luck with BoXPress. Yours, WAKAMATSU  Smiley

IP Logged
Henry Stein

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2017, 11:32am

Mark,

Thanks for the suggestions. I wrestled with the sequence until I discovered that I had go to Preview/File/New from Clipboard to see and save the PDF file. Just what I needed!

Henry

WWW   IP Logged
Henry Stein

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2017, 11:37am

Wakamatsu,

I downloaded and opened BoxPress, but the instructions seem unclear about how to convert a Tinderbox map into a PDF file. Are there specific instructions about how to do this?

Henry

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2017, 12:44pm

No, it is as you describe. Choose your Map, then use Edit menu-> Copy View As Image (Cmd+Shift+C). In Preview, use file menu -> New from Clipboard (Cmd+N) and the image appears a Preview document.  At this point the data is still vector (i.e. scalable). Saving as a PDF will preserve this. To rasterize, save as a PNG.

Or, you can paste from the clipboard direct into a vector (Adobe Illustrator, Affinity Designer, etc.) or a raster (Photoshop, Graphic Convertor, Gimp, etc.) image editor.

Note that not all elements of the map visual survive. I don't have a list but IIRC drop shadows and gradients may not persist. I suspect thinks like some of the newest display features list map container graphs may have light testing for export so YMMV.

I looked at this (http://mapself.com/index/Pages/BoxPressLearningCenter/BoxPressTutorials/Tutorial...) BoxPress page but essentially it refers to styling a map view in Tinderbox then exporting via the Edit menu as above.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print