Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quicksilver (Read 17301 times)
J Henslin

Florianópolis Brazil
Quicksilver
Aug 03rd, 2007, 9:49am

In my endless quest for productivity I found Tinderbox, Quicksilver and iGTD.

I find it very useful to use Quicksilver to quickly create a task in iGTD.

My suggestion/hope/desire/request is that someone write a Tinderbox module for Quicksilver.

Time is a waste of money
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Quicksilver
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2007, 1:05pm

What would such an extra module do? My hunch is no noe will step up to the plate if it's not clear what the need is (and whether it's do-able).

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
J Henslin

Florianópolis Brazil
Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2007, 1:21pm

I would like to use Quicksilver to create a Tinderbox note from text (or another object) without having to switch to the Tinderbox application, much like I can with iGTD.

I'm going to dig a bit into how the iGTD module for Quicksilver was developed and try to get an idea of how much work it would be implement a Tinderbox module.

Time is a waste of money
  IP Logged
RobertW

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2007, 1:57pm

You can use QS to e-mail your note to TB, or you can use QS to put your notes into Yojimbo, and then drag them into Tinderbox at a convenient time.

Obviously, with the intermediate step, this is a temporary workaround, not a true solution.

A QS module would need to use all three panes. The first pane would create the text, the second pane would be the "Add to Tinderbox" action, and the third pane would specify the target Tinderbox document. Tinderbox could even create a special container to catch QS inputs as it does now for mail.

Eastgate presents Yojimbo as TB's quick input method, but a true QS module would appeal to TB's demographic.

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2007, 2:13pm by RobertW »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2007, 1:57pm

Ah!  It sounds like you're wanting a 'send to Tinderbox' OS service.

Currently, Tinderbox gives access to other app's & OS services but doesn't implement one of its own.  If I've understood correctly and it is an OS service that you need, then I think that's something only Eastgate could do as it needs integrating at the Tinderbox end. IOW, it's an app feature request.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
RobertW

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2007, 2:07pm

By the way, Happy Healing to Mark Anderson. I read about your bicycle accident on Mark Bernstein's blog.

A service would work- in fact, if it's a service, Quicksilver would use it. The downside would be that one TB document would have to be designated as the "main" document, where all items from the service go. A true plug-in would allow one to specify the target document.

Update 8/4 7:16: Another approach would be to let the user create a separate service for each document. This is the way Circus Ponies Notebook does it. But that seems <em> so </em> 2003 at this point.

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2007, 11:03am by RobertW »  
  IP Logged
Rob Hamrick

Oakland/Berkeley, CA
Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2007, 2:58pm

Have you ever tried Les Carr's Tinderbox shell tools?

http://www.eastgate.com/wiki2/wiki.cgi?ShellTools

IP Logged
LarryB

Reply #7 - Aug 3rd, 2007, 5:28pm

Merlin Mann's 43 Folders and Mark's tips have provided me with a solution for quick data entry to a specific tbx note, from anywhere on my system.

I do need to investigate and create a method to reset the text file, and you may wish to create additional text to tbx note setups for this process, its very flexible and can be setup to the specific way you work.

First, visit the 43F site to learn and create the QS flow   http://www.43folders.com/2005/11/21/qs-redux/

Next create a tbx Note and set the attribute  Rule   to    Text=`cat "/Users/larrybaldwin/Documents/Larry_Documents/personal/Capture_InBox.txt";ReadO
nly=false

--  note:   the path and filename must be specific to your directory structure and filename

This rule will retrieve the contents of the Capture_InBox text file (contents of this text file are entered through the QS trigger) and place the text in the Text attribute of the note.

The ReadOnly=false allows you to edit or select the text for manipulation.

This is my inbox note, capturing the text I enter during the day, which I review and cut/paste to specific tbx notes (I am working to further refine the cut and paste - I originally highlighted the text for the new note title and created a new linked note but the original links remained in the original position when the text contents changed. Will revisit using the new FootNote function in 4.0 to see if this condition remains).

I would be interested in tips or refinements to this process from others who might use the QS and TBX combination.

--Larry--

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2007, 5:29pm by LarryB »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2007, 7:16am

Robert, thanks for the kind thoughts - I'm on the mend (unlike the bike!), though left hand only for the next 3 weeks or so.

RobertW wrote on Aug 3rd, 2007, 2:07pm:
A true plug-in would allow one to specify the target document.

Ok, I stand corrected  Smiley, I see what you mean.

Luckily it seems there are some other QuickSilver users here who may be able help you find a way through. Perhaps one of them not only uses QS & TB but can program in whatever language (Objective-C?) needed to make such a plugin. TB-ers seem to cover a wide range of skillsets and hopefully the forum will aid the right groupings to come together.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Rob Hamrick

Oakland/Berkeley, CA
Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2007, 2:02pm

Actually, if all you're trying to do is use Quicksilver to get text into different Tinderbox documents so that you can reorganize it later, you may also want to try to set up your Tinderbox document to receive mail and use Quicksilver's Email to... command to send your text clippings along.

You would need to use Quicksilver's Apple Mail and Address Book modules, and add entries for the email you have set to use with your Tinderbox documents to Address Book.app.

I haven't tried this, but it seems like it should work.

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2007, 2:12pm by Rob Hamrick »  
  IP Logged
J Henslin

Florianópolis Brazil
Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2007, 7:06pm

Check this documentation out on Quicksilver and iGTD. It would be great to have something similar for Tinderbox.

http://bargiel.home.pl/iGTD/help/quicksilver/

Time is a waste of money
  IP Logged
Matt Cawood

New England, Australia
Reply #11 - Aug 5th, 2007, 12:54am

I've patched together a workaround using iKey and Applescript. I can now select some text in any program, hit an F-key, and the Tinderbox note dialogue pops up. I enter a name and prototype, hit enter, and the note appears, containing the selected text, under a top-level container I've called (with great originality) Inbox. I use a similar method to call up a new blank note and the Find dialogue.

I live mostly in one document. It may not be suitable for someone who always has several docs running.

I did this all some time ago, and now view it as some minor miracle - I know almost nothing of Applescript. I must have been in some kind of zone when I did it.

In a perfect world, I would be able to automatically add a file link or URL to the source document in the appropriate TBX metadata slot. I'm hoping the world will be made more perfect with this sort of automation in a forthcoming version of Tinderbox.

Matt

IP Logged
jcarolan

Reply #12 - Aug 6th, 2007, 9:27pm

I also documented a "service" that send events via LaunchBar, which in some ways is easier for me than Quicksilver. I posted it to
http://www.eastgate.com/wiki2/wiki.cgi?ScriptingTinderbox

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print