Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flint Question: Adding New Pages (Read 14753 times)
R. Jolly

Flint Question: Adding New Pages
Aug 07th, 2007, 11:51pm

How do I add a new page to a Flint-generated Weblog?

Currently, if you add notes to the Flint Archives folder, the most recent are posted on the main page of the blog. This is nice for a one page blog; however, I would like to have a topic based blog, with a Main Page Blog containing links on the top to five different Topic Blogs. I need a procedure to add more pages and links to the main page. Also. I would like the topic blogs to auto populate just as the main page does, by adding notes to a folder.

I assume that I need to create several new agents, and Archives folders, or subfolders, but I am at a loss as to what to do next. I don't mind if the extra topic pages mirror the main page's side bar.

I know that I can create five or six unique tbx files then export each to its own folder and then link all on a separate index page, but there has to be a better way.

I have the feeling this is a non-trivial question, with a long answer. Can you advise?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Flint Question: Adding New Pages
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2007, 7:26am

Flint has 3 output pages, Home (index.html), About and Contact.  The Home page is generated from the (outline) top level note 'main page' and the other from top level notes 'About' and 'Contact'.  

Adding a new page note. To add another page, add a new note; I don't think it matters where but top level in the TBX makes sense. You could always duplicate/rename an existing page note.

Setting the page template. Flint has two templates for full pages (the rest are for includes, etc.:
  • 'page'. Used by the Home page
  • 'info_page'. Used by About, Contact, etc.
...use whichever template you like or modify one to make a new one to meet your needs.

Fixing the Navbar. Open the TBX note /boilerplate/topnav and add the new page's link text - i.e. the clickable text when exported - to the list in that note.  Then select that new entry add a web link:
Code:
^root^[page name].html 

...if in doubt open the 'Browse Links' (Cmd+\) for the note and see how the other pages are linked to!

Done! You should now be good to go. Either run the site out to HTML, or to be more cautious (and if you can read HTML source code) open your new page's HTML view and check the code looks OK before publishing.

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
R. Jolly

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2007, 6:52pm

Thanks for the quick reply, Mark.

A few clarification questions:

1. Where are the templates located? I can't seem to find the page and info page templates you mentioned. Are they prototypes? Boilerplate?

2. I am having trouble creating the link you mentioned.
Apple Key + Option shows that I have blue boxes around Newpage, but this doesn't show up in Links. What am I doing wrong?  I have included a screenshot.

IP Logged
R. Jolly

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2007, 6:58pm

Screenshot did not upload... trying again.

Link.jpg
  IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #4 - Aug 8th, 2007, 7:26pm

Templates are external files -- text files that look like the exported pages, with placeholders such as ^title and ^text that Tinderbox will replace with information from the notes.

You might want to take a look at the manual's sections on export templates; they've been extensively revised for Tinderbox 4. The manual is now find in the Help Menu.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2007, 5:57am

Lots of questions...
R. Jolly wrote on Aug 8th, 2007, 6:52pm:
1. Where are the templates located? I can't seem to find the page and info page templates you mentioned.

In a folder called 'html templates' in the same folder as your Flint-created Tinderbox file. The template pages are in this folder.

Are they prototypes?

No. If you don't understand export templates I commend that section of the manual to you. As Mark's stated it's now conveniently accessible from the Help menu as of v4.0.0. It's something you either need to just accept as working or - if you want to alter things - you'll need to read into the topic and get an understanding of it. Fear not, it's not complicated.  If I can understand it.... Cheesy

Boilerplate?

Click Cmd+Opt+L (Locate view) and all the TBX's notes are listed in alphabetical order. You'll see there is both a 'boilerplate' and a 'Boilerplate' note - notes are case sensitive in terms of assessing duplicates. Right-click each in turn and open a new outline view. You'll quickly see 'boilerplate' is the one you want as it

2. I am having trouble creating the link you mentioned. Apple Key + Option shows that I have blue boxes around Newpage, but this doesn't show up in Links. What am I doing wrong?  I have included a screenshot.

I see you've deleted the Contact page link/and or text. Was that your intent? The bottom link in the grab has no anchor text (i.e. no click-able text.

When making lists - like - topnav - where each item's text will be a link, take care when adding new items. If you simple put your cursor at the end of an item and hit the return key, most likely you've extended the previous line's link onto the new line. Clicking Cmd+Opt will show this is the case. To avoid that, place your cursor at the end of the line above where you want to add an item. Now, first click Opt+space. The Option key part is important. Opt+space tell TB that you want to add a space without extending the current link It's now safe to hit the return key and carry on making your links.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
R. Jolly

Reply #6 - Aug 9th, 2007, 6:38pm

Thanks for the advice. Sorry about the location of templates question. I do know where the html templates are located and basically what they do. I did misunderstand your instruction and thought that I needed to change some parameter inside the tbx structure itself, i.e. the main page and info page... There are prototypes called page and info page that threw me off...

I followed your advice and have successfully created a new page, with content, and the link works. Great!
Getting close to what I want.

Now, next problem. The html export is strange, just plain jane. I have tried to select different templates for export, but keep getting, plain jane output. The side bar links are on the bottom, the colors are all gone, etc. When I first started to experiment with Flint the html output was fine, sidebar was on the side... Now, I cannot escape from plain jane output. What happened? Have I selected the wrong template?? Which template should I use?

« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2007, 7:18pm by R. Jolly »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2007, 1:09pm

Ah, a new v4.0.0 feature bites.. I believe the Flint Flint download was updated for this, but if using an old version with TB v4.0.0, you'll need to make this edit:
  • Open your TBX, and find the last top-level container 'prototypes'.
  • In side that select '*css' and open it's info window (Cmd+Opt+I).
  • From the pop-up select to show the HTML section of attributes.
  • In that section find HTMLIndentedParagraphEnd and HTMLIndentedParagraphStart.
  • For each in turn, select the value (right column) of each one and double-click it.
  • Delete the value, leaving the box empty, and click OK.
Now export to HTML again and things should work.  I just tested in v4.0.0 with a TBX created via Flint v0.9.7

See also the Flint page.

« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2007, 1:12pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
R. Jolly

Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2007, 6:11pm

Thanks, Mark.

That did the trick! Html export is back to normal. I have good looking blog pages and working links. Thanks so much for your help.

I have some other questions, but will give it a rest for a few days.

By the way, I read that you were in a bicycle accident recently. Are you OK??

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2007, 5:13am

On the mend, slowly. Thanks for the thought.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Patrick Lynch

Hawthorne CA
Reply #10 - May 24th, 2009, 1:57pm

Not sure if this is the best place for this. In the latest version of Flint, (2.02) and I know it's in beta, no matter which  of the export choices I select--blue, green, tan, etc--the index page remains in green. Any thoughts on how I can remedy it to be consistent with my other pages? Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print