Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tinderbox 4.5 (was Tinderbox stole my weekend!) (Read 19027 times)
Paul Walters
Ex Member

Tinderbox 4.5 (was Tinderbox stole my weekend!)
Aug 26th, 2008, 12:44pm

Just downloaded TB 4.5 and read the release notes.  I know what I'll be doing this weekend - so many excellent changes and goodness to explore.  TB 4.5 proves that these forums matter.  Thanks, Mark!

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2008, 5:41pm by Mark Bernstein »  
  IP Logged
Johnnie Wilcox - mistersquid

San Francisco, CA
Re: Tinderbox stole my weekend!
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2008, 3:41pm

I couldn't agree with you more, Paul.

The changes to Tinderbox 4.5 (from 4.2.3) are just what the doctor (of philosophy Wink ordered. I find Tinderbox indispensable for my work and every update makes it that much more mind-blowing.

========
Oh, snap! Buried in the "minor" portion of the release notes: "Improved Find Window"

Why so subtle? The updated Find window ROCKS the HOUSE!!

w00t!

Thanks, Eastgate.

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2008, 3:52pm by Johnnie Wilcox - mistersquid »  
  IP Logged
Ben Worthington

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2008, 3:44pm

Yes I agree too, I really the like the ability to display info in container headers - that's very useful indeed.

I can't see how dividers are drawn in map view, anyone know?

IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2008, 4:48pm

Dividers: make an adornment. Now, make it very narrow.  It turns into a divider.

Dividers are drawn in the adornment layer, but they have a height (or width) of zero and are all border.

WWW   IP Logged
Sebastian Stephenson

Re: Tinderbox 4.5 (was Tinderbox stole my weekend!)
Reply #4 - Aug 27th, 2008, 1:16pm

berstein sweet man one question why drop shadows?(the nice and all but just wondering)thanks for 4.5

Sebastian Stephenson sebey9   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2008, 4:12pm

Why drop shadows?

First, they open up some new opportunities for low-contrast color schemes.  Cutting down on the graphic noisiness of Tinderbox maps can help emphasize the really distinctive notes.  In some cases, though, you wind up with ivory-on-white (or black on black); a bit of drop shadow makes a big difference.

Second, they're yet another dimension you can use as a visualization tool.  For example, tying ShadowDistance to (say) $WordCount might make overly-long sections really pop out from the map.  Of course, you've got lots of dimensions already -- color, shape, border, typeface, type size, type color.  But having an extra tool helps.

Third, people like drop shadows.

You can turn them off easily; just change the default value of Shadow to false.

WWW   IP Logged
Michael Fitzhugh

Oakland, CA
Reply #6 - Aug 27th, 2008, 6:33pm

Michael Bywater mentions how great it is to be able "being able to see the full text of a note without opening it."

That sounds really cool, but I wasn't sure what he was referring to — maybe the ability to see text in notes when using map view? Since I don't know how to contact him, do you know what he was talking about?

Mark - Great work on 4.5! In-place editing of note titles is a huge time-saver. I really agree with Johnnie too: The improved find window is a great improvement. Major in my book. Thanks!

- Michael

Michael Fitzhugh mike_fitzhugh michaelpfitzhugh   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #7 - Aug 27th, 2008, 6:52pm

Showing text in map icons came in with v4.0 IIRC, v4.5 adds tabular data and variable title bar width for containers. See http://www.markbernstein.org/Aug0801/ComingAttractionsInsidethe.html that demonstates the latter.  If you drag an ordinary note map icon larger or drag a v4.5 container title height larger (and you're not using tabular data display) you'll see some/all of your note's text displayed beneath the title. Such text display is only available for rectangular (default) shaped icons - you can resize rectangles but is you use an entire;y different v4+ Shape for the icon the body text can't be dislayed. MapBodyTextSize sets the (point) size of the body text shown in map icons.

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2008, 1:54pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Greg Askew

Reply #8 - Aug 27th, 2008, 9:47pm

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to write this, but I wanted to add my sincere thanks to MB for the continued development of Tinderbox. I probably only use 10% of Tinderbox, yet even that slither of the product has given me the mental focus and agility to work through so many aspects of my life - large events like moving house, to small activities like baking a decent loaf of bread.

My mind has the occasional habit of racing at a hundred miles an hour, decimating anything I've been working on. Applying 'the more you put in, the more you get back', TB is my way of piecing it all back together.

Thanks again!  Smiley

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2008, 9:54pm by Greg Askew »  
  IP Logged
John Kendrick

Reply #9 - Aug 28th, 2008, 12:57pm

I, too, have no idea whether this is the appropriate place to say this, but here goes.

I may use less than 10% of the capabilities, as someone said, but the addition of word wrap for notes titles and the ability to edit those inline expands my use greatly.

Now, if I could easily and smoothly print to well formatted outlines. But I'll take what I can get.

Thanks from me, too, Mark.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2008, 2:03pm

@John K. Re outlines and printing it would be a good idea to start a separate thread and give a bit more info as to your expected outcome in that scenario. 'well formatted' a subjective measure so it's useful to expose any starting assumptions.  Likely it can be done, albeit probably through a secondary format as TB isn't a print layout program.

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2008, 2:05pm by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Patrick Lynch

Hawthorne CA
Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2008, 5:28am

To Johnnie:
Would you mind sharing offline some ways you are using TB in your work? I am starting an Ed.D in educational leadership and social justice and would love to manage my research with it. I am already using Nvivo via VM Fusion as well as Word and Endnotes on the Mac side.
Thanks,
Patrick

IP Logged
Paul Walters
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 30th, 2008, 10:15am

Now several days on with 4.5, I must say I am enthralled.  This version arrived as I began editing a large collection of notes from a professional photography conference.  Without the graphical abilities of 4.5 the work would have been tedious, and, more importantly, I would not have understood as well how the notes related to one another.  Not to mention the gorgeous maps that Tinderbox creates!  The new version definitely sped my plough.

IP Logged
Michael Bywater

Reply #13 - Aug 30th, 2008, 5:44pm

@Michael Fitzhugh:  I was referring to being able to see text in map views, as you suggested. I was just thinking back over recent developments in Tinderbox -- that one isn't new in 4.5 -- and realizing how far along it has come.

What we now need is for Apple to link all apps to ~/Applications.  Then I could have an account which only had Tinderbox available, and maybe I'd get some work done...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print