Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finder Files to Tinderbox (Read 5609 times)
Johnnie Wilcox - mistersquid

San Francisco, CA
Finder Files to Tinderbox
Mar 25th, 2009, 12:40am

This is an announcement for version 1.0 of my freeware utility Finder Files to Tinderbox.

What follows is an excerpt of the very short "READ ME" file included with the application.

At some point, I will update this post with a link to a screencast about Finder Files to Tinderbox.

=====================
Finder Files to Tinderbox v. 1.0

Create Tinderbox files with notes linked to specific Finder items.

Operation

You can either drop Finder items on "Finder Files to Tinderbox" or double-click the program icon.

Dropping items on "Finder Files to Tinderbox" creates and opens a Tinderbox file with linked notes to folders, applications, and documents. Double-clicking the program icon will limit your selection to applications and documents.

IP Logged
AsafKeller

Re: Finder Files to Tinderbox
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2009, 9:09am

Thanks much for this; mighty useful!

IP Logged
Jan

MA, USA
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2009, 12:32pm

I've been wondering about whether Tinderbox could function sort of like a database.  Being able to easily add file pointers would be essential for what I'm thinking about so this sounds good.  One question though -- does anything "happen" to the notes when the files referred to are offline, like on drives that aren't current mounted.  Or has this come up in your use of the utility?
Thanks-

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #3 - May 11th, 2009, 1:56pm

[I've not used Johnnie's utility]

@Jan   Tinderbox is a database - just different in form from one like FileMaker with which your are more familiar. By default - i.e. in the standard field schema as you might think of it - each note ('record') has  filed to store a URL ("URL" attribute) and a pointer to a file ("File" attribute). In fact you can drop either a file or an OS folder onto the file link in a note's sidebar. In the latter case calling the File attribute results in the targeted folder being opened in Finder. With either folder or file link if the file or folder is not at the stored location nothing happens if called. The app simple stores the path to location of the asset at the time of creation of the association - there is no background tracking as might occur in a CMS or document repository.

A Tinderbox licence includes a licence for Yojimbo which is more of a (multi-media) clippings management tool.  Although an oultiner/database tinderbox is one of those apps that defies easy labelling not least as it can be used in so many different ways.  In the context of managing research it's strong suit it in analysis and interlining of text and even more helping with emergent structure. In the latter it is the opposite of a traditional desktop database like FileMaker (and similar) where fortune favours those who know exactly the structure and fields needed before you start out adding data.  Tinderbox allows the opposite - you can add a little or a lot of data - begin to see associations and start to formalise those after the fact.  Witness Mark Bernstein's answer to your comment about prototypes. You may have them at outset, but you're not punished for not having them - so some people don't use them at all. The ease with which you can move around, visualise and analyse data without having a clear idea of structure is Tinderbox's strong point.

« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2009, 4:29am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print