Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quiz Bank (Read 13079 times)
Jean Goodwin

North Carolina
Quiz Bank
Dec 29th, 2009, 5:51pm

So, I'm looking for advice about using tinderbox to develop a "quiz bank" of multiple choice questions.  

Basically, the bank would include questions, like:

Quote:
What kind of politeness strategies do you observe in the following note to a roommate:
I am leaving for Des Moines this weekend, so I will be gone for just a few days.  Since I am going to be gone, I was wondering if you could clean the apartment when you get a chance.  I know that it is inconvenient, but I would really appreciate it.  I really owe you one!
(a) primarily positive politeness strategies
(b) primarily negative politeness strategies
(c) roughly equal positive and negative strategies
(d) few politeness strategies;  this is "bald on the record"

Questions "belong" to units of the course, and within the unit, to specific topics--I'd need attributes for these.  The main units are easy to define in advance, but the topic subcategories change around more from semester to semester.  It'd be nice to idiot-proof the subcategories, so I don't forget what I called them and start making up new names.

Every time I use a question, I get back some basic data:  a validity rating;  the % of students who got it right;  and how many students selected each of the wrong answers (the "distractors"). I also want to record WHEN I use each question--for example, so as not to repeat a quiz question on a make-up quiz.  More attributes.

For export, it'd be great to collect all the questions for some unit, sorted by topic.  Then I could go through the list, check the ones I want to use, and export the checked notes for mark-up in a word processor.

So far, that seems easy enough using Tinderbox.  Here's where it gets trickier.  I want to be able to re-use the same questions next semester, without wiping out the old data.  Further, the questions often go through some morphing--to make the distractors more distracting, for example.  But I don't want to write over the original question, since sometimes it will turn out to have been better.  

How could this be handled?  My current idea is that instead of continually writing over the text or attributes of a question note, I could clone the question note every time I use it.  Then the clone (most recent version of the question) could be linked back to the question note on which it's based.

Even better:  Could notes I check for export be automatically cloned, preserving some attributes (text, unit, topic) but eliminating all others, and linking back to the original note, again automatically?    

So far this last bit has been too much work for me to get around to trying it.  Maybe I'm missing something?  Other ideas?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Quiz Bank
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2009, 6:36pm

When pondering no this last autumn, it did occur to me to set prototypes for Questions and Answers.  If answers are made children of Questions then the former prototype can apply the latter - though that's not the reason for the nesting. By nesting the Q/A elements each question can 'own ' it's own set of answers making analysis easier. A question can also, if pertinent, have a super-set of answers from which only some are drawn. User attributes can store things like topics to which a question belongs (regardless of nesting) - this allows us to test whether topic X has enough source questions, how many we've used, etc., etc.

There are a few starter ideas!

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Stacey Mason

Eastgate Systems, Inc
Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2009, 6:05pm

yes, it also occurs to me to make the questions you want to repeat prototypes.  This way, you could change the new version while keeping the old, the two are linked, and most of the grunt work is done for you (i.e. you don't have to re-write the quesions).

Mark's idea of nesting the answers would make assigning the prototypes of the answers (and exporting) very easy, and he makes good observations about about analysis.

WWW   IP Logged
Jean Goodwin

North Carolina
Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2009, 3:05pm

Making everything a prototype is counterintuitive (given my Tinderbox habits) but would indeed work to create a new version of a question easily.  

Once there's bunches of questions in the bank, workflow might be:

-agents collect questions by topic;  I use a stamp to "check" the ones I want to use.

-an agent collects all the "checked" questions; I re-write them as needed & export.

-I freeze the agent and use a stamp to erase some attributes (data from the last time I used the question; the "check") and reset others (the new date I used the question;  making the note a prototype).

-after I get reliability etc. data back from the testing service, I mark up the questions in the frozen agent, and drag them into the bank.

Probably it would also be good to have an agent that removes the prototype status of old questions (questions that have been rewritten), so that when I'm searching for questions I can look at just the most recent versions at first.

Thanks, MarkA & Stacey!  This sounds do-able enough that I'll start the work of getting questions into the bank, next time I teach that course.

IP Logged
Trevor Harvey

Tallahassee
Reply #4 - May 11th, 2010, 9:58pm

Hi Jean,

Did you get around to building a TB quiz bank file? If you did, would you mind sharing it?

IP Logged
Jean Goodwin

North Carolina
Reply #5 - May 12th, 2010, 8:44am

The quiz bank for a course I teach in the fall semester, so it's going to be a summer project.  I'll certainly share it, since the "peer review" it'll get will be a big help.  Meanwhile, any ideas?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print