Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Syllabus Mapping (Read 23495 times)
Derek Van Ittersum

Syllabus Mapping
Aug 10th, 2010, 7:17am

Hi all,

I've created a syllabus TBX that I thought I would share, just because I'm happy to have created something that seems more like an application than just a map with links!  I still need a bit of help with it to make it perfect, and it's not near as useful as mistersquids CSS syllabus+notes version, but I thought it was useful for quickly brainstorming a Tues/Thurs class reading schedule.

Basically, the "Reading Notes" map allows you to drop notes (that you can populate from your bibliographic software.  In fact, now that I think about it, you could probably create an rtf bibliography with zotero or some such, then drop that onto tbx, then explode it, and have all the notes ready to drag and drop) onto adornments, which then attribute the reading date and week number onto the note.  Agents then collect the notes and make it possible to export document with reading dates and readings properly ordered.  The only customization you should need from semester to semester is to change the dates of the adornments.

Here's the link to the TBX file.

http://drop.io/rcety7r/

If you've got any suggestions to make it better, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks to Mark & Mark, of course, for help along the way,
Derek

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Syllabus Mapping
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2010, 8:03am

Thanks for sharing.  Looks interesting. Got the TBX, off to look at your export problem in the other thread.

« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2010, 8:51am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2010, 5:39am

The export problem is now solved; jump to answer #5 for a link to an example TBX of the solution.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Derek Van Ittersum

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2010, 4:25pm

Hi all,

I have created an update for the syllabus file above, using Mark A's templates, but with some of my own changes as well.

http://drop.io/jfux10c

I have created a map with adornments for each Tuesday and Thursday in a 15 week semester (it would be trivial to add a day to each week for a MWF schedule).  Each day also has a corresponding agent. Setting the date on the first agent automatically sets the dates on the rest, making it easy to update for new semesters.

Basically, if you create a bibliography of the readings for the semester, then explode that into individual notes, you can sort them onto the adornments, mixing and moving until you've got it right.  You can also just create new notes if you don't have bibliographic info handy and paste that info into the notes later.

Once you're done, you can export a nicely formatted schedule for distributing to students.  

As with all things TBX, you can re-style the export format endlessly--I tried to make everything as open as possible so it would be easy to do so.

This file is exactly what I was hoping to create (although I will likely tweak with the export format), but I'd definitely be interested to see if others re-use or revise the file for their own purposes.  

I learned a lot making this file (much more so than when I made the daybook last year)--thanks to Mark A for re-working the file and Mark B for the hint about adornments.

derek

IP Logged
Jean Goodwin

North Carolina
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2010, 9:20am

Derek, the teachers of the world thank you.  This is something I've been meaning to do for quite a while, and now all I have to do is "stand on the shoulders of giants" etc.  It's cool!

IP Logged
Gregory

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2010, 11:02am

Wow.  I love this!  Thank you all for putting it together.

IP Logged
Derek Van Ittersum

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2010, 12:56pm

Good to see others are finding it valuable--payback, of course, for all the cool stuff I've learned on this forum.

IP Logged
Patrick Lynch

Hawthorne CA
Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2010, 1:13pm

Thanks to both of you for this amazing tool. I have been trying unsuccessfully to create this for years. Cheers to the TBX community.
Patrick

IP Logged
linn

Reply #8 - Dec 23rd, 2010, 9:39pm

Derek Van Ittersum wrote: Quote:
Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2010, 4:25pm   Hi all,

I have created an update for the syllabus file above, using Mark A's templates, but with some of my own changes as well.

drop.io etc.

I'm still in "Demo Mode" for Tbx, but creating syllabi will be part of my work. The url in your message gives a message saying that drop.io service has been discontinued. Derek, can you post it somewhere and let us know. I'm sure it will be valuable to many of us newbies. Thanks!

IP Logged
Rich Shields

California
Reply #9 - Dec 25th, 2010, 8:30pm

Indeed, I just purchased TB this week, and would be very interested in this example. Anything you can post would be most appreciated.

WWW   IP Logged
Mark Bernstein
YaBB Administrator

designer of
Tinderbox

Eastgate Systems, Inc.
Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2010, 10:52am

We're snowed in here.  I've uploaded what I think to be the intended file here:

http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/public/VanIttersum.dmg

We appreciate your indulgence if this is actually an obsolete draft; there's a good deal of snow between home and office this morning.

We're working on a new tutorial CD (release late next month) which will have a fuller demo on building this sort of syllabus map.

WWW   IP Logged
linn

Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2010, 9:26pm

Thanks, Mark. I'm looking forward to playing with and with the CD when it's available.

IP Logged
Derek Van Ittersum

Reply #12 - Dec 29th, 2010, 7:52pm

sorry to be out of communication lately.  I've got the most recent version and will upload in the next few days.  Am busy with family responsibilities at the moment due to the holidays.  glad to see the interest in the file.

derek

IP Logged
Derek Van Ittersum

Reply #13 - Jan 3rd, 2011, 11:52am

Looks like drop.io is gone, so I'll host the file from my server for now.  Here's the address:

http://memoryfailure.net/tbx/syllabus-15weeks.tbx

Hopefully, I've ironed out all the bugs and not introduced any new ones.  Do chime in if you run into problems.  I may not be able to help (as I created this with a large amount of assistance from MarkA), but I'm sure others on the forum will have solutions.

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #14 - Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:46pm

Wink Waiting in the wings for questions.

--
Mark Anderson
aTbRef v6
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print