Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aliases won't stay where I put them in Adornments (Read 5000 times)
james a. foster

Aliases won't stay where I put them in Adornments
Apr 18th, 2012, 5:03pm

So...I'm in a map view of an Agent, call her Reaper, with two overlapping adornments, call them A and B. I have an alias METOO, that matches the query from Reaper, in adornment A. Now, I drag METOO from the part of A that is NOT in B into the part of B that is NOT in A. Wait a couple seconds. And METOO bounces back to it's original position.

How to I get it to stay where I put it?

(I'm sure this is a simple thing, so please don't hesitate to say the obvious)

« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2012, 5:11pm by james a. foster »  
  IP Logged
james a. foster

Re: Aliases won't stay where I put them in Adornments
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2012, 5:34pm

I think I've answered my question: the $CleanupAction attribute, in General attributes, was set to "grid". When I set it to "" the problem went away.

So my next question(s): Is there a way to make "" the default CleanupAction?  Can we add "none" as an option in the cleanup popup at the bottom of each note?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2012, 6:08pm

You can't alter the UI pop-ups. You can set a different default several ways. Firstly, make a prototype for your agent or adornments (yes the latter can be prototypes but you'll only see them in Map view!). Secondly, alter the Doc or app-level default for $CleanupAction.

If tempted by the latter, I'd experiment at Doc level first. This attribute/feature is still classed as experimental so I'd back up first and watch for unexpected performance issues if using anything but a very small file.

[Edit: I mistyped the name of $CleanupAction. Corrected.]

« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2012, 7:16am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
james a. foster

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2012, 7:03pm

As for the UI pop-ups, by "we" I meant "you".  Wink It would be nice in a future release to have "none" as a cleanup option from the popup.

SO...I made a prototype with $CleanupAction set to "", then set the prototype for my adornments to that prototype. I was able to move things around, no problem.

BUT...when I reopened the file the next day, the Prototype attribute for my Adornments had become "none". My notes are in the right place initially, and then automatically get "cleaned up" (undoing hours of work), since the prototype is no longer changing the default.

Is there a way to open a file while suppressing cleanup? Something like a "safe mode"...so I can reset the prototype field?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2012, 3:58am

Ahm, but in this case the "you" being addressed in me - the only other thread respondent and I don't work for/at Eastgate nor have any control over the app features. For serious feature suggestions I'd always advise mailing Eastgate directly regardless of what's written here, otherwise by the convention of a user-to-user forum you're only addressing fellow users. I don't mean that pedantically, but simply by way on managing expectations.  Smiley

Testing today has shown that my (untested) assumption yesterday that smart adornments honoured $CleanupAction has been proved false. Whether that is TB's real design intent in this regard I can't say as there's no Release note info covering this scenario.

I've just scrapped a long description I added based on fresh testing as from it I can see all sorts of inconsistencies in agent/smart adornment auto-layout that I can't reliably diagnose; this would merely add confusion for you and later readers. The status quo is not entirely surprising as were trying to use an unenvisaged edge case to an experimental feature! So, I suggest you take this direct to support as you'll get a much clearer answer as to your options in this context.

On a general point, be aware that an empty string isn't a valid value for $CleanupAction. For objects, such as honour that attribute, the value must be one of "grid", "none", or - from v5.10.2 - "box" (see more).

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print