Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tinderbox Forum as a Tinderbox file?? (Read 16520 times)
rtalexander

Tinderbox Forum as a Tinderbox file??
Dec 12th, 2012, 9:28pm

Is there any practical way to get the content of the Tinderbox Forum into Tinderbox? This would be a great way to mine the content and organize it for quick and flexible access.

IP Logged
Paul Walters

Re: Tinderbox Forum as a Tinderbox file??
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2012, 5:20am

How much of "the content" do you want?  There are thousands of posts here.

For one-off cases, it's a simple matter to select the text of a posting and drag into to Tinderbox's Outline view or to the $Text of a note.  The benefit of this is you get to curate, pick and choose, what's important to you in a thread.

For archiving, the print function in the forum toolbar makes a very presentable one-page output that can easily be kept in PDFs.

Mark Anderson's indispensable aTbRef in many ways already mines the forum for the best ideas.  Mark almost instantly updates aTbRef when new concepts, techniques, or clarifications are discussed in the forum.  It doesn't replace the forum, but it sure is a resource that is rare in the software world.

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2012, 5:26am by Paul Walters »  
  IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2012, 7:09am

Possible? With software, most things are but practical? No. Bear in mind too that many old threads are about problems now resolved by fixes or new features. As Paul's kindly noted, my aTbRef is constantly updated (only yesterday I revised a whole major section). Perhaps overlooked by many is that the aTbref site allows you to download the TBX used to create the entire site (including the RSS feeds, etc.) except the images - the TBX is a demo in its own right.

Pretty much all my significant demo files I've offered here (and a few by others) eventually get added to my Demo Bank which Eastgate include in their Tutorial CDs, plus there's the Cookbook. The wiki content is pretty old now and sadly currently locked as it gets spammed/vandalised faster than I can clean it up plus few folk know how to post in a wiki meaning nearly every entry has to be re-edited to make content usable (indeed it's why I tend to put things in aTbRef instead).

Are there things you are looking for that you can't find? If so, what?

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2012, 7:11am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Sumner Gerard

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2013, 11:17pm

One way to bring forum content into Tinderbox is described here.  Python script creates a tab-separated-values (tsv) file that can simply be dragged onto a Tinderbox view. Reasonably practical.

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2013, 11:52am by Sumner Gerard »  
  IP Logged
rtalexander

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2013, 2:50pm

Hey, thanks for doing this! I look forward to giving it a try.

Regards,

Roger.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print