Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Tinderbox
  News:
IMPORTANT MESSAGE! This forum has now been replaced by a new forum at http://forum.eastgate.com and no further posting or member registration is allowed. The forum is still accessible via read-only access for reference purposes. If you wish to discuss content here, please use the new forum. N.B. - posting in the new forum requires a fresh registration in the new forum (sorry - member data can't be ported).
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Attribute management: Hierarchies (Read 2177 times)
james a. foster

Attribute management: Hierarchies
Jun 18th, 2014, 10:34am

One challenge with TBX (I am currently using TBX6, but this was also true in TBX5) is having lots and lots of user attributes. It would be nice to be able to arrange them into a hierarchy, so that all the attributes of a Type-A thing are grouped together, Type-B with their relatives, and so on. One way to do this would be to let us create userA, userB, etc. attribute lists. Another would be to make attributes themselves either atomic (numeric, date, list, etc.) or lists of atomic types.

Currently, I name my attributes in a way that indicates their hierarchical relationships. For example, AName, ADate, BName, BDate to show that there are different Name and Date attributes associated with types A and B.

But the general need is a way to make it easier to manage large collections of attributes. A single, flat, linear collection of user attributes is clumsy.

Suggestions on how to do this now? or is this a new feature request?

IP Logged
Mark Anderson
YaBB Administrator

User - not staff!

Southsea, UK
Re: Attribute management: Hierarchies
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2014, 10:50am

A hierarchy of opened-ended depth would likely be costly engineering for limited usage. System attributes use a 2-level approach of System/[Group name]/Attribute name]. Perhaps the same data model could be used to allow one-level deep grouping of user attributes.

Meanwhile, I do as you do and name my attributes so they sort together if that is desired in that doc.

« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2014, 10:52am by Mark Anderson »  

--
Mark Anderson
TB user and Wiki Gardener
aTbRef v6
(TB consulting - email me)
WWW shoantel   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print