Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Tinderbox
  News:
Tinderbox 6.3.1 is now available! http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Finderbox" - Tinderbox as Finder replacement (Read 77 times)
Zarzura
Ex Member

"Finderbox" - Tinderbox as Finder replacement
Dec 31st, 1969, 7:00pm

This is a prophecy I make, after just one week of working with Tinderbox: In two to three years, the concept and functionality of Tinderbox will have become part of the operating system.

Introducing windows, icons and mice at Xerox and Apple some 20 years ago was a paradigma change in the user interface which remains valid until today (even though the details developed a lot). I was wondering now and then how the next real paradigma change could look like, and I have a clear vision now, after I started to use Tinderbox.

After some hours of work with Tinderbox I thought, gosh, it would be nice if I could drop folders and files, give them attributes, link them together and have agents to automatically work on them. I also thought, what would be necessary to not differ between form (file/folder) and content (tb-notes), to deal with extremely large tb-files and how to integrate a database as backend. And then I virtually "saw" the solution: TB as part of the OS and the finder as TB-interface. And the vision was so crystal clear and self-determined, that I dare to predict exactly this to come.

First there will be a standalone application (maybe Tinderbox 8.x  Grin), which will give access to the file system and provide a finder alternative. Then it will be possible to use this application INSTEAD the finder by customizing the OS, and then it will actually replace the finder and be part of the standard OS.

Talking again to you guys in two years (after the Steve Jobs Tinderbox-keynote)  8)

Zarzura

IP Logged
Zarzura
Ex Member

Reality might be faster: Onenote
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 1969, 7:00pm

After posting my vision of an integrated Tinderbox, I had some good discussion in my company. One of my collegues was convinced, that the paradigma shift would take 15, instead my predicted 3 years. His words after I presented Tinderbox to him: "I understand fully the potential of this piece of software. But do not forget, that 90 % of the users do not even know they can change the name of a folder". He pointed out, that a fair percentage of windows users would save their documents into the same default folder for years (and they wouldn't be able to locate it from the desktop Cheesy) and the time would not be here for a paradigma shift as it would be too sophisticated for the average user.

Alas, today I read the announcement of Microsofts Onenote:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/onenote/

Looking at the screenshots I would say, the missed the goal, but nevertheless it shows, that the idea and its potential is out and coming!

TBox: lead the way  Wink

I also read Mark Bernsteins entry in his weblog about my foregoing posting. Mark, you might be so right: MS might burn the earth even before Apple has a change to struggle with Thirdparty-ventures Undecided

Zarzura

IP Logged
Bernstein
Ex Member

Re: "Finderbox" - Tinderbox as Finder replacement
Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 1969, 7:00pm

Don't worry about One Note.  

I don't!   Smiley

IP Logged
Dr_Bruno
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 1969, 7:00pm

From what I've read (I never used it) the BeOS was moving in this direction. The 'Tracker' offered realtime agent-like views on files, based on customisable metadata. It sounded fantastic.

I think a few people have been disappointed that OSX didn't develop any of these ideas. It seemed like the perfect opportunity. But hey - maybe in the next few years?

IP Logged
BeN
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 1969, 7:00pm

i think the shift will also come from server based apps like http://tikiwiki.sourceforge.net/, phpnuke and others...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print