Winter is coming. It’s time to take a deep breath and roll up your sleeves.
It’s the time for new plans and fresh projects and great new ideas. Whether you’re mapping out your next novel, finishing your dissertation, planning a product, or writing memories for your grandkids, these great tools will help.
As is our custom in this season, we’re hosting a gathering of software artisans who are working to transform research and writing for a new era. We’ve all finished our latest updates, we’re working together to save you lots of money.
Get the tools you need at a terrific price, for a very limited time.
Your inspiration doesn’t come from a factory. Neither does artisanal software.
For a limited time, we’re offering you a great price on great software, right at the workshop door. No ridiculous bundles, no silly gimmicks. Great software, great support, great (but sustainable) prices.
Artisanal software doesn’t come from fly-by-night marketers. We work hard to make sure our tools work together, because that makes everything better. Here’s how…
These are terrific tools for thinking, writing, organizing, and delivering your ideas. Sure, you can manage with less – but why would you want to? Each of these tools is carefully crafted and maintained by a small, dedicated team with vision and determination. Each is constantly honed and improved – since Tinderbox 1.0, we’ve had ninety three full releases for Tinderbox alone.
take it easy
We don’t make you jump through hoops. No need to dig up your serial numbers or clip boxtops. These are all full versions with complete support and upgrade privileges. No contests or hullabaloo, no discounts too good to be true.
Just great prices for great software, right at the vineyard gate.
- Tinderbox and Storyspace: order right here.
- Everyone else: use the coupon code WINTERFEST2016
Rich Siegel from Bare Bones Software reminds us that:
No matter what craft you're pursuing, there is no investment more useful, productive, or gratifying than a set of finely crafted tools and trustworthy reference materials.
Tinderbox designer Mark Bernstein finds his colleagues a constant source of inspiration:
You don’t discover inspired design in focus groups. Artisanal software is filled with ideas, ambition, and a passion to make things right. Using all these tools together lets our team build better software while engaging the rest of the research community.
Keith Blount from Literature and Latte writes:
The applications on offer for WinterFest comprise some of my favourite writing software. There’s something here for every step of the writing process, from gathering research and working out connections between ideas, to putting it all together into a manuscript and polishing the text for wherever it needs to go.
Eric Böhnisch-Volkmann from DEVONtechnologies likes to create, and his customers do, too:
Our customers love to create something new. And for this, they collect, organize, structure, delete, note, write, and – finally – perfect. With the apps that we have put together for you in this WinterFest, handcrafted by creators for creators, you can do this without the computer getting in the way of your creativity.
Adam Engst, publisher of Take Control Books, believes in the power of proficiency:
We’ve published over 120 practical books covering the most important Mac- and iOS-related apps, tasks, and technologies, including titles on DEVONthink, PDFpen, Scrivener, and TextExpander. All these books were created using Nisus Writer Pro, and for the TidBITS side of our business, we rely entirely on BBEdit for writing and editing articles. If you take your text seriously, do yourself a favor and invest in the tools and training that let you focus on the best way to convey your ideas to the world.
TaskPaper inventor Jesse Grosjean says,
What a great list to be part of. I love Scapple as a simple as possible thinking space. I wrote my first app integration for TextExpander on iOS years ago. Tinderbox is an original that I look to for new ideas in my own software.
Scrivener is the best computerized tool for serious writing since – well, maybe since ever. Its new, seamless integration with the wonderfully flexible thinking-tool Tinderbox is good news for anyone who cares about writing, thinking, or using a computer. – James Fallows, author of China Airborne
If NaNoWriMo is the SuperTurboBoost engine that gets me writing, and Scrivener is the virtual organiser briefcase full of documents, then Aeon Timeline is having Linda the Genius [Copy Editor] sitting with me as I write. — Elizabeth Haynes
Tinderbox helps you keep track of the real complexity and messiness of the world. – Ted Nelson, inventor of hypertext and author of Computer Lib and Possiplex.
You know that feeling you get when you put on your favorite, well-worn t-shirt and jeans? I just got that feeling when I started up the program. I live in Nisus Writer Pro." – Lou Lesko, award winning writer and photographer.
It’s all pretty damn DWIM — “Do What I Mean.” The latest integration between Bookends, Tinderbox, and Scrivener bring a whole new level of DWIMity. And — the mark of great software — each one keeps producing little surprises....the sort of surprise which makes you think (a) “I didn’t know it could do that”; (b) “Why would I want to do that, anyway?”; and (c) “I don’t know how I managed without it. – Michael Bywater, author of The Chronicles of Bargepole, Big Babies and Lost Worlds
You have kept me from committing technocide and offing my computers and iPhone. I am going to purchase more Take Control books as soon as I’m finished with this email.” —Michael Israel, performance artist
Tinderbox stores and organizes your notes, plans, and ideas. A professional tool that helps you analyze and understand your information as it grows and changes, Tinderbox is a powerful but personal content assistant that helps you share your notes through the cloud and on the Web.
- Maps help you discover emergent structure and unexpected relationships
- Agents and rules let your work keep itself organized
- Treemaps, word clouds, and dashboards visualize your data
Nisus Writer Pro
The word processor that's fast, clean, and with all the power you need. Nisus Writer Pro adds new features while keeping the familiar look and feel that has won praise from users and the press alike.
Nisus Writer feels like home with support for macOS autosave, document versioning, and iCloud. You're in control. Our tools are right wherever you want them. Customize which palettes are seen and when. Assign any keyboard shortcut to any menu. Add any menu to the toolbar.
Scrivener is a powerful content-generation tool for writers that allows you to concentrate on composing and structuring long and difficult documents. While it gives you complete control of the formatting, its focus is on helping you get to the end of that awkward first draft.
The WINTERFEST2016 coupon also gives you 25% off on Scapple, an easy-to-use tool for getting ideas down as quickly as possible and making connections between them.If you’ve ever scribbled down ideas all over a piece of paper and drawn lines between related thoughts, then you already know what Scapple does. Learn more…
DEVONthink Pro Office
DEVONthink Pro Office is your Mac paperless office. It stores all your documents, helps you keep them organized, and presents you with what you need to get the job done. Learn more…
- Keep your data together in one place
- Scan your paper and make it searchable
- Archive email together with your other correspondence
- Let artificial intelligence help you file your data
- Share your data with anyone, whether they use Mac or PC
TaskPaper is a plain text to-do list that's surprisingly adept. TaskPaper 3 is all new, while still retaining the same plain text design that's been getting things done since 2006.
- Plain text – Keyboard friendly. Type your lists into TaskPaper and each line is formatted into a project, task, or note.
- Outliner power – Fold, focus, and filter to cut big lists down to size. Use saved searches to quickly filter the items in your lists.
- No locks – TaskPaper files are future proof. Edit them in any text editor or use one of the many TaskPaper compatible apps created by other developers.
- No limits – TaskPaper doesn’t force a particular system on you; it provides basic list elements to use as you see fit. Go beyond with scripts and themes.
Aeon Timeline 2
Aeon Timeline 2 is the next generation of Visual Timeline Software.
For writers in the opening stages of planning, the final stages of editing, or anywhere in between, Aeon Timeline 2 helps you build your plot, understand your characters, avoid plot-holes and inconsistencies, and visualise your story in new ways.
And for project and case management, Aeon Timeline 2 offers a lighter and more flexible way to plan, analyse and track your projects, employees, milestones and more.
Aeon Timeline 2 launched in April and comes packed with new features including:
- editable Fiction, Project and Legal templates,
- event dependencies, nested events, and numeric timelines
- group events by Arc, Character and Location
- re-imagined Scrivener integration that opens the Scrivener binder right inside Aeon Timeline
And now in version 2.1, we introduce a new Relationship View to show the connections between timeline events and a large cast of characters.
BBEdit is the leading professional-strength HTML and text editor for the Mac. Crafted to serve the needs of Web and software developers, this award-winning product provides a vast number of helpful features for editing, searching, and manipulation of text. BBEdit enjoys legendary status for reliable, high-performance text transformation.
BBEdit 11.6 offers a variety of performance improvements, fit & finish refinements, and changes to streamline workflow in specific areas, such as Find Differences. In all, this new version includes more than one hundred and sixty new features, changes to existing features, and fixes for specific reported issues.
Imagine never typing the same email address, chunk of code, brand message, directions or data more than once. Avoid the mistakes and typos of retyping the same thing with TextExpander.
Give each of these words, phrases and messages a short abbreviation you type instead, and watch your "snippets" of text expand. Use the power of fill-in-the-blank snippets to customize common responses.
Now, with the new TextExpander, share groups of snippets with others, expanding your common knowledge, and keeping everyone, and every device, current.
Sign up for a TextExpander account for access to all the apps, including those for Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Windows (currently in beta).
- Insert standard greetings, text, and signatures, including formatted text and pictures
- Type custom abbreviations that expand to longer “snippets” of text and images
- Correct typos automatically (Add them to your snippet library and/or use one of the included AutoCorrect snippet groups for English, French or German)
- Suggests snippets from phrases you habitually type
- Use fill-in-the-blank snippets to create custom forms with multiple field types and sections
Take Control Books
Take Control ebooks provide the real-world help you need, with smart coverage of the latest Apple-related tech and leading Mac apps. Available in PDF, EPUB, and Kindle formats, each Take Control title is a true ebook that’s carefully designed for screen reading and provides a hot-linked Table of Contents and Quick Start for fast access to answers to your questions.
Books created in partnership with WinterFest 2016 developers:
- Take Control of Getting Started with DEVONthink 2 explains all that DEVONthink can do and how it can bring order to your information.
- Take Control of Scrivener 2 takes you through the entire creative process in Scrivener from organization and research all the way to a polished manuscript.
- Take Control of PDFpen 8 teaches you how to use PDFpen to work with scanned documents, create and edit PDFs, and sign PDF forms.
Books about Apple’s latest releases:
- Sierra: A Take Control Crash Course calls out the most interesting changes in macOS 10.12 Sierra and shows you how to put them to work on your Mac.
- iOS 10: A Take Control Crash Course guides you through what’s new in iOS 10, explaining how you can best take advantage of new system features and updated apps.
- Apple Watch: A Take Control Crash Course shows you how to integrate the Apple Watch into your habits and devices, explains its core features, and more.
You’ll also find books about (deep breath!): 1Password, Apple TV, Audio Hijack, Dropbox, iCloud, iTunes 12, Keynote, LaunchBar, Numbers, OS X Server, Pages, Parallels Desktop 12, Photos, Preview, and Slack!
Stop looking for answers in unreliable and outdated blog posts and start learning more effectively with a carefully researched, professionally edited, cohesive book. We offer free samples and a money-back guarantee, so try a Take Control title today!
Reference management entails the collection, annotation, curation, and citation of published information. This is exactly what Bookends does, and it does it like no other software.
Bookends performs Internet searches to retrieve references and associated pdfs or web pages, and can immediately find and import references for which you already have the pdf. Versatile groups (static, smart, hierarchical, and virtual), Term Lists (keywords, authors, etc.), reference cross-linking, notecards, PDF file tags, PDF annotations that can be viewed/edited in notecards, on-the-fly creation of reference data tag clouds, and instantaneous live searches help organize and find information in your personal collection. Learn more…
Storyspace 3 brings fresh and new technology to reimagine the writing environment that launched the golden age of hypertext narrative. Years before the Web, adventurous writers crafted intricate, interactive stories of tremendous literary scope. Now, Storyspace 3 brings modern Macintosh typography and the flexibility of Tinderbox – with which Storyspace works intimately – to provide new perspectives on writing with links. Learn more…
Edit PDFs easily with PDFpen!
PDFpen is a heavy-duty document editing app for macOS.
Add text, images, signatures, highlights, and comments. Make changes, fix typos, fill out forms, and redact sensitive information. Use OCR (Optical Character Recognition) to turn a scan into editable text. Export from PDF to Microsoft® Word, Excel, PowerPoint or PDF/A. Stash your documents in iCloud Drive, Dropbox, Evernote or any other cloud service.
- Validate digital signatures for authenticity and trust of digitally signed documents
- Digitally sign documents using AATL or self-signed certificates
- Create a digital certificate for self-signing
- Preview and extract file attachments and annotations
- Record and playback audio annotations
- Measure distances with the measurement tool, including scale within architectural documents
- Export PDF to Microsoft® Word (.docx) offline
Use HoudahSpot to find the documents you really need in the "haystack" of files on your Mac. For example:
- Mails about a "CV" or "resume" received this year
- Word processing files containing "invoice" or "estimate"
- Image files named "logo" more that 512 pixels wide
- Files created, modified or opened in the last 7 days
It takes just a few clicks to build precise searches.
Fine Print: This special offer may end without notice. This offer cannot be combined with other discounts, and may not apply to all update offers or multiple-user packages. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Great deals and artisanal software make for hectic order rooms and real people handle each order; your patience is appreciated.
for Mac OS X ❧ More download options.